Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chai: Ce qui est mieux?

French for "What gets better?"

I know I am being 100% completely biased when I say this, but if you have not yet had a cup of Chai, you are just CRAZY (honey badger).  I know some people don't like it (you people don't have to read this post), but this is the drink that got me started on tea.

Chai is basically a tea that is steeped in about one-third water and then mixed with two-thirds milk with sugar added.  If you like coffee but are wanting to look into a healthier option with the same sort of texture, this is the drink for you.  Chai.com gives a good bit of info on this cup of tea.  Black tea is the main ingredient used in Chai and contains a good amount of antioxidants.  This tea in general is good for your immune system, blood pressure, helps to lower cholesterol, and prevents diseases like cancer and Alzheimers.  Compared to coffee, it also has less caffeine.  This means you can have more cups and still be drinking less caffeine than you would with one cup of coffee.



When I was in India, we had this tea twice a day and it was completely authentic (no tea bags or  a can you pour the tea out of).  Twice a day our hostess brought out the cardamom pods, cloves, fresh ginger, and other ingredients involved in making this delicious cup.

After I got back from India, my mom and I found an Indian Spice market off of 39th Street (in Oklahoma City).  There is probably and Indian market somewhere near you that you don't know about.  Look it up!  You can buy all of the authentic ingredients, and you will have plenty to make for a while.

Also, more and more places are beginning to serve Chai as a regular drink.  You can get a Chai Tea Latte from Starbucks (not really my favorite).  I prefer Chai from more authentic coffee shops.  Here in Oklahoma City you can get it at places like cuppiesandjoe.  Or when I am at school in Tulsa, I love to get it at either NordaggiosShades of brown, or CHOCS.  Find local places around you like this and try their version of chai.  You most likely won't be disappointed.

If you would rather make it at home, you can buy the easy tea bags maybe at Walmart or  Target or your local Asian Market.  You just steep the tea in water and then add milk and sugar to it.

Here is my mom's recipe on her food blog DishinandDishes for how to prepare authentic Chai.

Try it out.  Then you'll be asking me, "Ce qui est mieux?"

Kayla


No comments:

Post a Comment