Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Darling Darjeeling

This morning I tried what is known as "Darjeeling" tea (cue images and quotes from The Darjeeling Limited, which I still have yet to see).  I guess it counts a little bit that I have actually been to India.


One reason I am so fascinated with tea is because of the health benefits involved.  It is amazing to me that something that comes straight from the earth can be used to cure things in the body.

While drinking this specific kind of black tea today, I researched some to see what the health benefits were.  One of the greatest benefits of tea in general is the amount of antioxidants included, which serve to kill bad cells in the body while keeping the good cells healthy and intact.  Darjeeling tea has the compound TF-2 in it, which does just that.  It kills bad cells (ex. cancer cells), while keeping the good cells unimpaired.  TF-2 also supposedly reduces inflammation for conditions like arthritis and helps to prevent heart attacks and strokes.  The tea lower cholesterol and helps to maintain heart health.  According to livestrong, darjeeling tea also helps to fight dental plaque and keep your teeth healthy.


So why not drink this cup of tea?  You can most likely find it at your local walmart,  Akins, or an Asian market close to you.  Asian markets carry three times as much tea as our grocery stores.

How I prepare Darjeeling Tea:



1.  I fill up my tea pot with water and plug it in (super cheap, you can get it from Walmart).
2.  Pour water in my cup and set the loose leaf tea in it inside a tea filter (don't need this if you bought tea bags).  Let it steep for a couple minutes.
3.  Take out the tea and stir in some honey to desired taste.
4.  You're done!  Unless you like to add green leaf pearls like me (just for some extra antioxidants).


आमोद-प्रमोद! (Enjoy!)


Kayla








  

No comments:

Post a Comment