Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Grow Your Own Chamomile: Phase One

So I basically have one of the greatest friends in the world.

Last weekend, my friend Brettley came through Tulsa on her way back to Oklahoma City and gave me a little gift:  a grow-your-own-chamomile kit she found at Target.



Since I started experimenting with tea, I've wondered if there was a way I could grow my own, so I'm super excited to try this out.  Not only that, but chamomile is one of my favorite kinds of tea.  I always tell people I love the taste so much I could just chew on the bag.  Chamomile is a "sleepy-time" tea, which means it has no caffeine and has a calming effect on the body.  If you know me, you're probably thinking in the back of your head that this is the worst thing I could drink (people call me a half-narc).  Chamomile has been known to help reduce stress and anxiety.  It may also help with muscle twitches, skin conditions, and stomach problems.  It is also said to help with blemishes.  

So this starts the first blog post on my journey to grow this tea that I take such a liking to.  I'm calling it "phase whatever" because I'm not going to bore you with a post every day telling you "Today, I watered the soil."  I will just write in phases (when noticeable differences take place).  

So this is phase one:  planting the chamomile.    

Luckily, this little guy came with an instruction sheet. 


The first thing I did was pour the soil into the tin about 3/4ths of the way.  I then sprinkled the chamomile seeds on top of the soil.





After sprinkling the seeds onto the soil, I covered them with the rest of the soil that was left until the tin was almost full.


I then lightly watered the soil, put the lid on the tin, and set it by my dorm window so it can get some heat from the sun.  The soil is supposed to remain moist and covered with the lid until the seeds begin to sprout.

If you have a small pot or herb garden, I encourage you to join me on this journey.  You may be able to get the seeds at Target, Walmart or a garden center of some sort.  Or you can order them online!

Let's grow our own tea together.

Kayla




     











No comments:

Post a Comment