Wednesday, August 1, 2012

DIY: Iced Black Tea with Milk & Cinnamon Dolce



Lately I've been getting this drink from Starbucks that a friend told me about.  It's iced black tea with milk instead of water and cinnamon dolce syrup.




This drink is awesome to get at Starbucks because it tastes great and is cheaper than most drinks (since it's tea).  This is a sweet drink and is great for the middle of the day (especially during this heat) or after dinner.  It has the same texture and consistency as iced chai so if you don't like iced chai you may as well skip on this post now.

Anyway, I decided after getting it a few times that I was going to try and make it myself in the near future.  Well, today is the near future and I didn't do such crappy of a job so I thought I'd pass it on.

DO IT YOURSELF:

Step 1.  Brew your tea.


You want to get this started first so it can steep for a little bit and you get all the flavor.  I bought a box of regular black tea from the Asian Market here in OKC but you can probably get a similar kind at your local grocery store.  I would recommend getting the Iced Black Tazo Tea if you can find it.  I let mine steep the whole time I prepared everything else.

Step 2.  Make cinnamon dolce syrup.

I actually googled how to make it and there are several recipes out there.  It's not too hard and doesn't take much time.  This is how I made mine:

Put 1/2 cup of white sugar, 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in a small saucepan.  Stir it up.


Add 1 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.


Heat until it boils and keep stirring.


Remove from the heat and let it cool for several minutes.

Step 3.  Here is what you need from this point: your cup, brewed tea, syrup, ice and choice of milk (I am using original almond milk-at Starbucks I get soy and probably like it better).  You can get these both at the grocery store.


Take your cup and pour your brewed tea (by now it should be semi-warm) into it as so:


Add your choice of milk (you want about as much milk as tea):


Add your syrup (you can add as much as suits your tastebuds):


Stir it all up and then add your ice.  I would recommend refrigerating it for ten minutes or so.  The colder this drink, the better.


There you go!
I hope this drink helps you enjoy the rest of the summer! (It's ridiculously hot here in OK).

Kayla


No comments:

Post a Comment