Monday, July 30, 2012

Not Too Hot!

Recently I got into a conversation with my sister about Green Tea and she told me it can cause cancer.  My first reaction was shock because all I've ever heard about Green Tea is that it prevents cancer (because of it's nutrients and antioxidants that fight and kill free radicals.) However, I decided to do some of my own research on the subject and see what I could find.

For the most part, everything I found online talked about how Green Tea and tea in general prevents different types of cancer and diseases.  But I did come across one study that had to do with the temperature of the tea and not the actual tea itself.  Drinking very hot tea can cause problems with your throat.



If you're a big tea drinker like me, you may want to pay attention to this.  Tea is really good for you, but you need to be careful how hot you are drinking it.  Let it cool off at least four minutes  before you drink it.  If you drink your tea a couple minutes after it was boiling, you are increasing your chances of having throat problems and getting throat cancer.

I haven't found anything really saying that consuming Green Tea can cause any type of cancer.  Almost everything I have found recommends drinking Green Tea and other kinds of tea for health benefits and to fight against free radicals in the body.  Plus,  it's also mentioned and is interesting seeing the health of Asians compared to Americans and how much Green Tea they consume on a daily basis. If you want to know more about Green Tea and where it comes from, check out this site.

So I would say that it's safe to drink Green Tea and the other varieties of tea out there as long as you drink it at the right temperature.

Treat your throat kindly, don't burn it.

Kayla


No comments:

Post a Comment