Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tea Saves Your Health & Your Money



Those of us who crave the wonderful taste of coffee have probably experienced the frustrations of driving through a Starbucks or going to a local coffee shop and spending a whopping five bucks on one cup of joe.  Before you know it, you've had four cups in one week and spent twenty dollars.  Being a college student, I have found myself in this predicament numerous times.  I realized that by buying four cups a week for 4 to 5 bucks, I was spending around 70 to 80 dollars in one month!  You can probably do the rest of the math (70 X 12 months = almost $900 a year).  That's just ridiculous.

There has to be some alternative solution to this problem.  It would be nice if these businesses sold their coffee for the amount they bought it for (but then that wouldn't really be a business would it?).

I used to think there wasn't really a way around this.  I loved sweet coffee drinks and wasn't used to the flavors of tea.  However, I decided to give it a go and substituted green tea for my regular coffee for a month.  I realized I was saving a lot of money (one cup of tea is $2 or less compared to your $4 to $5 cup of coffee and BUYING your own boxes of tea saves a TON of money-a box of tea containing 20 bags costs about $3 at your local grocery store).  I could also still adjust the tea how I wanted it to taste in ways that were healthier than coffee (using honey or agave rather than sugar-you can get these both at Walmart).  Not only that, but I was also beginning to reap the health benefits tea brought to my body.  I felt healthier and more energized than I did when I consumed large amounts of coffee.  

You may be saying, "But I like my sweet drinks at Starbucks.  What about my frappuccino?"  

There are alternatives.  You just have to look for them. 

A good friend of mine told me about a drink her friend recently started ordering at Starbucks: an iced black tea with milk instead of water and with cinnamon dulce.  If you love sweet drinks with a coffee texture, try this one out.  Whenever I am in the mood for a sweet drink, this is the one I get now.  Plus, this drink is only two bucks compared to your five dollar frapp.

So give it a try.  Buy a box of tea and try to substitute it for your regular coffee.  Make it your own way to suit your taste buds.  Relax, save money, and receive the health benefits it has to offer.

Kayla    



   

No comments:

Post a Comment