Friday, July 27, 2012

Can't Cook? Ask Your Mom..or Mine.

One thing I love about being home for the summer is my mom's cooking.  From making homemade pad thai  to cream cheese frosted pumpkin cookies to pesto stuffed zucchini boats, she can pretty much make it all.




Several years ago when my sister went to college, she kept calling my mom and asking her how to make different recipes.  My mom finally decided to start up a food blog so my sister could get online and see step-by-step pictures on how to make different meals.  The blog quickly turned into a hobby and she started using it for other stuff like Oklahoma City restaurant reviews and family story posts.  

Not long after, the views on her food blog started going up and local chefs began to recognize her as a food blogger.  Then, two years ago the Oklahoma City Channel 4 News contacted my mom asking her to come on for a day.  When she went on the News, they talked about her blog and showed some of her recipes.  The views were higher that day than any other day during the week.  She was offered a weekly segment on the News which she has been a part of for two years where she brings in local chefs to make a famous dish or shows viewers how to cook her own recipes.  Lastly, my mom was recently asked to be the author of a book titled "Food Lover's Guide to Oklahoma", where she has written about hundreds of "hole-in-the-wall" places across Oklahoma she recommends trying.  PRE-ORDER the book now! 

To say the least, my mom is an amazing cook.  But it's not only that.  She is the type of person who is willing to let you get in the kitchen and be a part of it with her or figure it out yourself.  But be cautioned as to what you're wearing or what you look like, because she could be taking pictures for her food blog at any moment..




Oh how it saddens me to go back to school every year (and after breaks) to Saga (if you don't or did not go to ORU, just ignore this-if you did or do go to ORU, you can share in my grief).

My mom's blog is a blog worth visiting.  If you are looking for a diverse selection of cooking recipes, this is the blog for you.  


Kayla




1 comment: