Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Heart Behind My Music



Besides making tea, another one of my "pass times" is music.  It's definitely one of my biggest passions and to be honest, I never would have imagined being where I am with it today.

I started out as an eighth grader wanting to become a "rocker" on electric guitar.  I was sadly disappointed when my parents decided to buy me a nylon stringed beginners acoustic.  I stuck it in the closet for a year.  I still to this day can't remember when I picked it up for the first time or why.  But soon I was trying to teach myself chords (it came in handy that I had long fingers- if you don't, you can still play!  Don't let people tell you you can't).  I taught myself for about six months and got guitar lessons for six months and shortly after started writing music.  I never expected to write.  

In high school I felt the Lord really speak to me strongly about music and how He had a huge purpose for it in my life.  So I (as resisting and stubborn as I was) decided to set aside my own plans and go after the plans the Lord had for me.  Coming into college at ORU, every music opportunity I wanted was taken away from me.  I never stepped foot on a stage because every door that led to the stage was closed for me.  The only thing I was involved in musically was worship missions with my school where I played drums for my missions team (India).  It was a truly humbling process for me and taught me the true meaning of worship.  Through that process, I gave myself to the Lord and told Him that if I never set foot on a stage again, I would worship Him for the rest of my life.  I was content with worshipping Him by myself in a room.  After this two year process, I entered into my junior year at ORU (this past year) and the Lord began to really put dreams in my heart for music that involved using music in a business sort of way.  I would make music, sell it, and give all the profits I made to people in need.

The Lord's dreams for me, which are now my dreams, are more than I could have ever asked for.  Truly.  It is so beautiful to me what the Lord is choosing to birth into the earth through me and I would rather live off of people's testimonies than money.  I want to see the children of God know they are Sons and Daughters through the words the Lord sings over them through me.  I want to see peoples' lives changed physically with the money I raise through my music.  We all (believers) have been given the ministry of reconciliation, and I want to reconcile people to the Father's heart through song. 

Below are a few of my tracks/videos.  CLICK THE PICS TO WATCH.

My first track "Orphaned One"


My second track "Wilderness"


My most recent cover of "Dog Days are Over" by Florence + The Machine

  

"Like" my facebook page

Tweet @ me! @knicholsmusic

Book me: kaylanicholsmusic2011@gmail.com or via facebook or twitter

WEBSITE:  songsfororphans.com

ALL profits I make off my music go to an HIV/aids orphanage called Agape International that I personally visited in Hyderabad, India.

No comments:

Post a Comment